Silver Shadow Inaugural Visit to Nanaimo, Wednesday, July 15th
Jul 13, 2015
Mr. Bernie Dumas, President & CEO of the Nanaimo Port Authority sees the Silver Shadow first call in Nanaimo on Wednesday July 15th from noon to 11PM as a great opportunity to showcase to this first time visiting cruise line - Silver Sea - what we can offer in Nanaimo and the mid-island area.
"We are very excited to see the Silver Shadow for the first time in Nanaimo and during the prime time summer itinerary to Alaska." states Dumas. "As always we are working with our local community partners, the DNBIA and Tourism Nanaimo and others to make her call exceptional. Passengers will be going on shore excursions both locally and throughout the region but many will spend their time in our downtown. As we have done for every cruise ship call, the Nanaimo Port Authority has arranged for the RCMP in Red Serge for photo opportunities and we will be supplying a complimentary shuttle from the cruise terminal through the downtown, running until the late evening."
Cruise Nanaimo Facts:
- The Silver Shadow is 184 metres with approximately 382 passengers and 295 crew.
- She is on an 8 day cruise starting in Vancouver, and visiting ports in Alaska, prior to visiting Nanaimo and concluding in Vancouver.
- The Silver Shadow has a high space-to-passenger ratio, providing more space per passenger than any other cruise ship. The passenger-to-crew ratio is high, at 1.31 to 1.
- The Farmers Market will be in Pioneer Waterfront Plaza to attract passengers to downtown.
- Cannon firings will be held at noon, 2PM and 3 PM and cruise passengers will have an opportunity to fire the historic cannons.
The Nanaimo Port Authority is one of 18 Port Authority's across Canada, established under the Canada Marine Act, to promote and support the National, Regional and local economy and to ensure a safe and secure harbor for cargo operations.
- 30 -
Mr. Bernie Dumas
President & CEO - Nanaimo Port Authority