Employment with the Port of Nanaimo
EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position Title: Wharfinger
Reports to: Marina Manager
Status: Full time
Affiliation: I.L.W.U Local 517 (C.L.C)
Effective Date: Sept. 15, 2022
Reporting to the Marina Manager, the incumbent performs a variety of duties that assure the efficient day-to-day operation of the Port’s Marina and associated facilities.
MAJOR POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES
Typical duties include:
- vessel registration and reservations
- communicating with customers over the phone and VHF radio
- administration of customer accounts
- performing inventory counts of boats
- cleaning of facilities
- general maintenance of facilities and equipment
- ensuring compliance with NPA policies and procedures
- use of the loading dock crane and application of moorage agreement rules
- acting as an ambassador for the Port in providing information about the Harbour and City to pleasure boaters and tourists.
- other related duties may be assigned from time to time by the Marina Manager
- able to perform physical work including snow removal, pressure washing, lift and carry up to 50lbs and assisting boats coming into marina
Working both in and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- High school graduation or the equivalent.
- Appropriate training and a minimum of two year’s related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Ability to operate cleaning and maintenance equipment, perform minor repairs, adjustments, and routine maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Ability to greet customers, process sales transactions and other related customer service duties
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Effective time management, problem solving and communication skills.
- Ability to work a rotational schedule, including days, evenings, weekends.
- Good understanding and ability to use computers and software programs.
- Tourism diploma or the equivalent is considered an asset.
- ROC license to operate a marine VHF radio is considered an asset.
Nanaimo Port Authority (NPA) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for staff. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the NPA community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.
Friday August 5, 2022 thru Friday August 19, 2022 at 4:00pm
APPLY BY EMAIL TO:
Ms. Arlene Rolston