Largest Cruise Ship on Alaskan Run to Arrive in Nanaimo, Monday September 22, 2014
Sep 17, 2014
For Immediate Release | September 17, 2014
Mr. Bernie Dumas, President & CEO of the Nanaimo Port Authority sees the Celebrity Solstice inaugural call on Monday September 22nd from 7AM to 5PM as another opportunity to showcase what we can offer in Nanaimo and the mid-island area.
“The visit by the Celebrity Solstice is a great example of Nanaimo’s ability to host the largest vessel on the summer Alaskan itinerary, a tribute to Nanaimo and our world class Cruise Terminal and Welcome Centre.” states Dumas. “The Celebrity Solstice is the largest ship to visit the BC Coast and we are working with our local community partners, the DNBIA and Tourism Nanaimo and others to make a large impression during her call. Passengers will be going on shore excursions both in Nanaimo and throughout the region but many will spend all of their time in our community. As we have done for every cruise ship call, the Nanaimo Port Authority has arranged for the RCMP in Red Serge for photo opportunities and a complimentary shuttle from the cruise terminal through the downtown, running until 4:30 PM.” Doug Peterson, NPA Marketing & Sales Manager comments: “This is a benchmark for our services and cruise ship facility. The Solstice’s visit should reveal that our community is ready to embrace and commit to anything the cruise industry is willing to provide for us.”
Cruise Nanaimo Facts:
- The Celebrity Solstice is 1041 feet and with approximately 2,850 passengers and 1,400 crew.
- She is on a 11 day cruise starting in Seattle, concluding in Vancouver.
- The Old English Car club will be having a display of collector cars at the cruise terminal for the visitors and there will be the crafters market to attract the passengers to the downtown.
- Cannon firings will be held at noon, 1pm and 2pm and the cruise passengers will have an opportunity to fire the historic cannons
- The Celebrity Solstice was named in 2011 as the Best Cruise Ship by Frommers.
The Nanaimo Port Authority is one of 18 Port Authority’s across Canada, established under the Canada Marine Act, to promote and support the National, Regional and local economy and to ensure a safe and secure harbor for cargo operations.
- 30 -
For More Information Contact:
Mr. Doug Peterson
Manager, Sales & Marketing - Nanaimo Port Authority
250-753-4146 – Ext 223
Mr. David Mailloux
Manager, Communication - Nanaimo Port Authority
250-753-4146 – Ext 251