Port announces $40,000 in community donations
May 07, 2019
NANAIMO – A total of 11 Community Service Account donations have been announced by the Port of Nanaimo for 2019, totaling $40,000. The Port’s Board of Directors awarded the grants to a wide variety of groups, and it included the final $10,000 installment of a five-year $50,000 donation to the Loaves & Fishes Food Community Food Bank.
“Supporting the community is one our important mandates, and we are very pleased to be able to announce this year’s recipients,” says Acting Chair Donna Hais. “We receive many interesting requests, and choosing which groups will be awarded funds is exciting, since there are so many worthy organizations making a positive difference in Nanaimo.”
Loaves & Fishes Executive Director Peter Sinclair says the Port funding has helped enable the organization to purchase a much needed distribution warehouse on Irwin Street, around the corner from their Farquhar street office. Sinclair says Loaves & Fishes serves between 3,000 and 3,500 people each month, and has grown from distributing $800,000 worth of food five years ago to $4.1 million in 2018.
Other Community donations were announced for:
- Vancouver Island University Foundation: $5,000 - 2019 scholarships.
- Vancouver Island University Foundation: $10,000 - year 2 of 5 for the Imagine VIU 2018 campaign ($50,000 in total).
- Nanaimo Arts Council: $2,000 - Festival of Banners 2019.
- Nanaimo Child Development Centre: $2,000 - Silly Boat Regatta 2019.
- Nanaimo Dragonboat Festival Society: $2,000 - Save On Foods Nanaimo Dragonboat Festival 2019.
- Nanaimo District Museum: $2,500 - Bastion Summer Program 2019.
- Nanaimo International Jazz Festival Association: $1,000 - Nanaimo International Jazz Festival 2019.
- Literacy Central Vancouver Island: $500 - Vancouver Island Children’s Bookfest 2019.
- Cowichan Wood Boat Society: $2,500 - pier reconstruction.
- Nanaimo Community Hospice Society: $2,500 - Accessibility Ramp Upgrade.
Susie Caswell, Manager, Gift Planning & Donor Relations of the VIU Foundation says “The Port of Nanaimo has generously supported Vancouver Island University and its students since 1998. The Port’s Community Involvement Funding Committee established 5 awards at $1,000 for VIU's Marine Technician’s and Fisheries and Aquaculture.”
William Litchfield, Director Advancement and Alumni Relations at VIU, says the gift was part of the Port of Nanaimo’s $50,000 commitment to the Imagine VIU Campaign to support the development of marine mechanics training labs. “The Port of Nanaimo has been a long supporter of VIU and was one of the first to step up and support the IMAGINE VIU campaign,” he says. “The Port Authority continues their legacy as a community leader, builder, and partner. We are very grateful and humbled by their early leadership and support.”
Port of Nanaimo Acting Chair Donna Hais presents a cheque for $10,000 to Loaves and Fishes Community Food Bank Executive Director Peter Sinclair.
The Port of Nanaimo’s Community Involvement Funding focuses on waterfront enhancements, community social and health related organizations and support for local arts, culture, education and scholarships. There are two intakes per year with February 15 and August 15 application deadlines.
Port of Nanaimo
Tel: (250) 753-4146
Fax: (250) 753-4899
PO Box 131
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5K4