July 13 Open House
Jul 04, 2019
Citizens wanting to find out more about the Port of Nanaimo are invited to attend an Open House on Saturday, July 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The event will be held at the Port Administration building at 100 Port Drive and offer vessel tours along with snacks and drinks. Port of Nanaimo and Port partnership representatives will be available to provide insights to a wide range of port operations and activities and will include:
- WCMRC – Western Canada Marine Response Corporation with a specialized vessel and personnel to answer questions,
- DP World and Tourism Nanaimo as both have important roles in the various port activities,
- Representatives from Saysutshun (Newcastle Island) with information on program and facility development,
- Personnel from the Vehicle Processing Centre, just steps away from the Open House location, so visitors can also learn more about this new fully operational facility,
- Port of Nanaimo Patrol Division staff, vessels and information on a wide range of activities.
The Port of Nanaimo held its Annual General Meeting at the Coast Bastion Hotel last Thursday. Board Chair Donna Hais and CEO Ian Marr addressed the crowd to share results and information about fiscal 2018.
“We are pleased to announce that the Port of Nanaimo posted its highest overall revenue in 2018 with $10,978,119, up from $9,526,086 the previous year,” says Marr.
Board Chair Hais adds: “This has enabled us to re-invest close to $3.25 million in business infrastructure at the Port, which will help us grow our business even more. Our strong financial position allows us to make meaningful financial contributions to valuable community causes and organizations as well.”
The Port of Nanaimo contributed $5,000 to the Nanaimo Aboriginal Centre, which hosted the June 21 Indigenous Peoples Day on Friday, June 21 at Maffeo Sutton Park. The well attended community event featured various activities, including a fun Indigenous language button-making activity.
Mark your calendar for Saturday July 13th – 10AM to 2PM to learn about local benefits and its global reach from the Port of Nanaimo and various partners.