Holding An Event

Please see our Permits page for application forms, and location specific information.

Holding an Event Information
If in doubt as to whether or not you require Port Authority approval please call our main office at (250) 753-4146 or email [email protected] Any organized event on Port Property or on, below or above the water within Port Limits must be approved by the Nanaimo Port Authority. The Nanaimo Port Authority may choose to monitor any event on the water for safety or navigational reasons, especially when the event disrupts or may disrupt normal Port operations. Event coordinators will be expected to comply with any directions given to them by Port Authority Staff. Examples of events on, below or above the water which require Port Authority approval are, but not limited to, Bathtub Races, Silly Boat Regatta, Yacht Races, Dragon Boat Races, Kayak or Outrigger Canoe Races, Fireworks Displays, Swimming Contests, Demonstrations, Air Shows and Water-skiing Contests. Examples of events on Port Property that require Port Authority approval are, but not limited to, Weddings, Receptions, Markets, Car Shows, Swap Meets, Boat Shows, Festivals and Live Music, walkathons/running events along the Harbourside Walkway. Some events may require additional approvals ie: City, Bylaws, Fire Department, RCMP, etc. You should enquire with each to ensure that you have the necessary approvals in place to hold your event.

Event Approval Process
For more information Contact NPA Admin – 250-753-4146 or e-mail [email protected] Submit the appropriate application form and any fee required at least 60 days prior to the event. Submit a copy of the Commercial General Liability Insurance document showing the appropriate insurance coverage at least 30 days prior to the event. The insurance document must include “Nanaimo Port Authority, its employees and its agents as additional named insured with respect to the event”. Submit any/all other approvals at least 30 days prior to the event. If you intend to supply, distribute or sell alcoholic beverages at the event you will need to apply for a Special Occasion Permit from the City. If you intend to have alcoholic beverages at your event you may need to speak with your insurers for additional coverage. We do not encourage the consumption of alcohol on or near the water.